This weekend we started to build the Expedition Quadopters.
We started to build 2 of the 4 identical frame sets we have, using blueprint assembly plans viewed on the tablet.
We completed 1 frame set to the stage where all 4 motors & propellers were attached with all the electronics, battery and control panel in place, to allow for a first test flight.
Although all the build process was successfully completed, the initial test flights indicated a fault on one of the 4 motors, which unfortunately ended in a motor catastrophic failure, resulting in the craft loosing control and flipping over to crash land, breaking 2 of 4 propellers.
However, we were expecting something of this nature to happen – building a Quadcopter from scratch with a few hiccups along the way during Assembly and Testing was totally expected, and built into our planning & spare parts store.
Both Tuva and Dina really loved the experience – they built all the frame sections alone, with adult guidance and supervision only, and achieved quite a lot in one day.
We will continue this process now, until we have finalized the Quadopter builds, successfully completed the testing programme, and successfully run a few initial test flights, to certify the aircraft airworthy and ready for field operational use.
Watch out for more Blog News items on Quadcopter progress in the near future.